Sunday 26 February 2012

Music Feature: Queen Way Back When


If only I had a time machine...
When asked the question: "What is one band you would love to have seen in their heyday?" I can honestly say that I'd have a hard time choosing. It's difficult to put yourself in a position to choose between dozens to hundreds of great bands from years ago. 


My first thoughts led me to Elton John, but I'd argue he is still in his heyday, don't you agree? There's also the very typical "Beatles" response, but I'm never really that typical. I kept thinking about it and finally come to the conclusion that if Freddie Mercury were still alive; what I wouldn't give to be front row screaming the lyrics to Bohemian Rhapsody.






Growing up I would say that my parents taught me what music was: training me with bands like Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, George Michael and Duran Duran. Although these are just a mere few you can begin to see that my musical vocabulary started at a very young age. I've never paid much attention to rap and R&B music (so forgive me if you're a fan). Since then I've grown to love other bands though. In my socially awkward years as a teen I grew to love bands like Death Cab for Cutie, and the Silversun Pickups. Not saying those were wise choices, but they have certainly broadened my horizons somewhat.

Given these great bands (and I've not even began to mention) you might be wondering, "Why Queen?" After maturing, somewhat, in high school I was introduced to other bands that were "vintage." Queen was introduced to me for the first time. I'll never forget the day I went to my Mom asking her to purchase the CD for my iPod. I can say without doubt that it was the best $13 I have ever spent. To me, Queen is the kind of music that gets your blood pumping and touches your soul all at the same time.



I don't know about you, but this song makes me want to put myself right in front of Freddie Mercury and just squeal like a young school girl


Clinging to the radio, hopelessly wishing that I were in the audience of a Queen concert is only the beginning. I really do love Queen, and they will live on through my soul, and the souls of my future children. Words cannot describe how or even why the British rock band moves me in the ways that they do. It's not just the great beats, or even mind boggling guitar riffs that win me over. No, its Freddie Mercury and his words. Lyrics that could shatter anybody's soul if given the right situation. For instance, no one can deny the truth of the lyrics to Fat Bottomed Girls. Not only had this song given hope to me, and every other round bottomed girl, but also helped highlights Queen's more "playful" side.


What really sets Queen apart in my mind is the amazing Under Pressure they sang with none other than David Bowie (another personal favourite). To be able to sit at a concert with those two in front of me would be the perfect way to spend the night. (I would definitely contribute my left arm and leg to seeing this man perform one last time)

Seeing one last Queen concert would soothe my soul enough for the rest of my life. I've grown up with Queen on my Walkman then on my iPod, and someday soon into my children's lives. With their powerful lyrics and stage presence I feel they could win anyone over. If only the original Queen was still on tour and filling stadiums today. You'd definitely see me there.



What band or artist would you go see if you had the chance to see one of your choice, still active or not? Tell us in the comments section below!


- Teresa Curtis



Get a free giffgaff Sim

4 comments:

That feel when Jimmy Hedrix.
That Feel when Bob Dylan.
That feel when Nirvana.
That feel when T.Rex.
That feel when Joy Division.
That feel when Bob Marley and the Wailers.
That feel when The Ramones.
That feel when The Clash.
That feel when Underoath.
That feel when Queen probably shares the top spot with The Beatles making just as typical.
That feel.

Oops didn't mean to delete that comment.
If you notice any grammatical or spelling errors please point them out and they will be fixed. Everyone makes mistakes and some of those mistakes may go through unnoticed.

The Grateful Dead, for sure. I'd be right up there in front, wearing my long hippie skirt, swaying along with the acid junkies and pot heads.

I'm Listening to "Somebody to Love" by Queen as I post this comment.
"Blood pumping and touching your soul" - That's what Queen acheived. I want more of Queen and Freddie. May God Take care of Freddie in the best possible way and if he finds time - let him send Freddie once again to us. :-)

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More
KingViral See my work in Kettle Mag